Tips for Travel and Off-Campus Use
Planning your trip
Do you have questions about “How can I access UM resources when out of campus? How can I protect my data during traveling”? Don’t worry! ICTO already prepares the answers for you.
- Access your own UM mailboxes;
- Access UM resources anywhere by SSL VPN;
- Access Internet through eduroam by using your UM Wireless LAN account;
- Use our Notebook Loaning Service;
We also prepared a number of tips BEFORE YOUR LEAVE and a number of recommendations for protecting your computer and data when you are out of campus.
Tips for securing your data
Anti-virus Software – ESET NOD32
In order to enhance the entire security of the campus network and to lower the cost of productivity loss caused by viruses infection, the University has acquired an Anti-virus Site License from ESET NOD32, Inc.. UM also adopts a home license for students and staff. Please click here for more details
Using Public Machines
If you decide to use a public computer (e.g., Computer at hotel lobby, library, or Internet cafe), you should:
- Avoid entering sensitive information when web browsing;
- If you have to enter such kind of sensitive information such as password of a web site, please ensure a secure HTTP connection (https://) of the web site is being used;
- Please keep in mind that always log out of any sites that you accessed;
- Before closing the web browser, please do clear the history and cache (Tips);
- If possible, shutdown the computer completely after the use of public computers;
Data Backup, Protect and Remove
Under any circumstances, please ensure the following:
- Back up your data on separate harddrive;
- Password-protect, encrypt, or remove all student, personal, and proprietary information stored on your laptop before traveling.
- Ensure that you have a strong password for logging in your computer.
- Ensure that anti-virus is installed on your laptop.
BitLocker, VeraCrypt / FileVault2
Indeed, how do I ensure the data is protected or removed?
- Ensuring your data is protected, use Bitlocker, FileVault2 and VeraCrypt in both your PC and USB Storage
Licensed Software for Home
Accessing UM Email
You can access webmail service very easily once you have Internet connection.
By simply visiting UM web site, you can get access to most of the UM resources. If there are any restricted accesses such as Library resources, please connect your computer to the UM campus network by using SSL VPN.
eduroam allows users from participating institutions to gain secure access to wireless network using the same “username/password” credentials as they use at their home institution for wireless access.
You can check if your destination has joined the eduroam or not in advance. You can also test the eduroam on our campus first. Please visit here for more details.
If you have only a desktop computer and want to take a notebook computer with you for your short official trip, you can contact ICTO Help Desk. There are six notebooks ready for loaning as first come first served.
- All staff and students
Service Available Hours
- Mon – Sun
Service Support Hours
- Mon – Thu
09:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 17:45
09:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 17:30
Support / FAQs
- Please visit ICTO Knowledge Base
- ICTO Help Desk
- Location : Room 2085, 2/F, Central Teaching Building (E5)
- Telephone : 8822 8600
- Email : icto.helpdesk